Saturday, July 31, 2010

Luisa, 20 Years at House of Ruth: Part 2

One experience at House of Ruth showed Luisa what she was capable of.

It was 1990. There was a client at House of Ruth who came from Juarez, fleeing domestic violence. Not even 5 months after moving out of House of Ruth, she got back together with her batterer. They moved into an apartment together. One evening, while Luisa was working night shift at House of Ruth, the ex-client showed up at the door. She was beaten, and was begging to stay because she feared for her life. The house was full, but the staff decided to allow her to sleep on the couch.

Not long after, the woman’s abuser showed up at the house, pounding at the door and demanding, “I came to pick up my wife. Let me in.” The door was locked, but the man jiggled the handle enough to somehow get the door open. Immediately Luisa put her foot in front of the door and stopped the man from entering. She smelled alcohol on his breath. She said, “I don’t know where your wife is, I’m sorry Sir. I don’t know you or your wife.” He continued threatening. Luisa stayed strong. “You have to leave. We’ve got women here sleeping. No men are allowed inside.” At this, the man moved his jacket to reveal that he was carrying a gun. “Listen”, Luisa continued, “If you don’t leave I’m going to call the police. We are a shelter and they protect us. They are right around the corner.”

Luisa was the only staff person there that night, but instead of showing fear, she pretended there was another staff member. “Teresa, call the police! Sir, for your own good you should leave right now.” Being that he was undocumented and feared an encounter with the cops, the man left and the woman was safe that night. They helped her get into another shelter.

Luisa credits God for giving her the wits and courage to get through that terrifying situation. She states, “I can manage crises very well. I don’t show fear and I am brave in the moment. I tend to take action right away, which can sometimes get me in trouble.”

No comments: